Visitation

Visitation
Artist: Jim Janknegt

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Here we go...

So I'm a mother of two young children, babies really. I'm a stay at home mom who wishes she liked the sound of "home manager" better than "homemaker", but just feels the title tries to put a pretension incongruous with the duty of a Catholic mom. I make a home. I cultivate a family, our persons, our physical dwelling and, hopefully, our spiritual growth through my life and work.

Why "The Second Joyful Mystery"? My husband and I were married on the feast of The Visitation, the day we celebrate and remember Mary's journey and meeting with her cousin Elizabeth. Both women pregnant, both in unusual circumstances to say the least, and both leaning with the greatest of faith into the grace and will of the Father, thus playing two of the most important roles in the continuously unfolding drama of salvific history.  Specifically, though, this event drew huge importance and meaning to us as we prepared for our marriage and began to grow our family. The themes of hospitality, life, family, joy, childlike faith, and joyful servanthood so pervasive in the images and story of the Visitation were ideals we wanted to see alive and fruitful in our lives and the lives of our children.

So as our young "domestic church" continues to grow and mature, I wanted to share some of the successes, joys, anecdotes, ideas, thoughts, failures, struggles and questions that make their way into this life and will hopefully carry us to the next.  I don't claim to be an expert on the Church, faith, theology, psychology or any such thing. So take me with a grain of salt. Ask me questions. Hopefully this blog with be thoughtful and thought-provoking. And hopefully I bring some of Jesus with me to you, the reader, and hopefully something in you leaps for joy when you see Him.

leap for joy

rebekah

2 comments:

  1. yummy. can't wait for the next one... you are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait until you try out julia's beef bourguignon! love you!

    ReplyDelete