Visitation

Visitation
Artist: Jim Janknegt

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Feast Week

While our Lenten sacrifices usually take precedence over more celebratory days, two days this past week deserved a little more festivity than the rest.

Thursday was the Memorial of St. Patrick of Ireland. We celebrated in true Irish form...or as close as I, an American, could muster. I cured my own pork for a bacon boil with cabbage, and made a delicious brown bread and champ on the side. We started with a toast  of Irish Mist to St. Patrick and to Ireland, and finished with maybe a not so traditional dessert--shortbread shamrocks dipped in milk chocolate.


We got to the end of the evening, after the kids were in bed, and I realized I had done all these things to bring Ireland into our home, but had completely forgotten to come up with some prayers to commemorate the day! Dropped ball. I turned it somewhat secular even without the green beer and leprechauns! Next year. One step at a time!

And you may be wondering how I could have pulled all this off with two under two. I had lots of help. My dear sister-in-law was here and lent both hands, helping with the kids and with the preparations. Thanks Ciocia!

The other feast is today. It is the Solemnity of St. Joseph, husband of Mary. We're celebrating today in a scaled down version of the Sicilian-American celebration of New Orleans. Breads, cookies, wine, pasta, stuffed artichokes. It is going to be fun! 

I've set up an altar similar to those built in parishes and homes all around New Orleans. Normally they are extravagant altars, many tiers in height, with statues, icons, breads and cookies in shapes symbolizing St. Joseph and the Holy Family. Here is our attempt:


We have breads in the shape of a staff, cross, and monstrance. We have cookies and flowers, statues and vino, all to celebrate St. Joseph and his intercession for us.

Why such celebration? Well, the story goes that in the middle ages Sicily went through a tragic famine. The people prayed to St. Joseph, and the famine ceased. In thanksgiving they built these altars with food from the harvest. St. Joseph became the patron saint of Sicily. Emigrants brought these traditions with them to New Orleans, and though I am not aware of any kind of Italian or Mediterranean blood in my veins, as the daughter of a New Orleanian, I feel it is my duty to pass on this aspect of my culture and heritage. Our kids are going to be very confused by all these cultural traditions. That or very proud of their heritage.

And if I have confused my history, please comment with the correct one! 

I just wanted to share our celebrations with you! Pray a little prayer to St. Joseph today, for all the Josephs and fathers in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment