Visitation

Visitation
Artist: Jim Janknegt

Sunday, November 27, 2011

The end of ordinary

Well, ordinary time has come to an end. The every day, ordinary, busy, endless weeks of nothing special are over. Today is the beginning of a new season and a new liturgical year. And I'm making resolutions.

First, I'm going to learn the new translations of the responses, prayers, and creed that are now being used in the Mass. We've been practicing at Mass for the past couple of months, but I still can't remember some of the bits. And then I'm going to finally work up the courage to ask our parish pastor why he doesn't say that last bit right before communion, the Communion Rite. It's one of the most powerful moments in the Mass,  and my favorite part as I was on my conversion journey. To get the chance to say to God, "I'm not worthy!" and to have the humility and faith to ask for transformation.

Thew new translation more closely mirrors the scripture passage it is drawn from:

"Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed!"

It's that last reminder of the unworthiness of our poor souls to receive the sacrifice of Christ and the realization that though we are unworthy He freely made the sacrifice anyway. And that makes the magnitude of Christ's gift of self even greater. We are unworthy, we don't deserve, and yet He gives it anyway. Taking this part away robs us of part of the gift of Christ.

End of rant, continuation of story...

The second resolution I'm making is to not let the ordinary time become so ordinary anymore. After the quiet anticipation of Advent is over, and the joy and celebration of Christmas has ceased, I'm going to do my best, by the grace of God, to make every day the altar is dressed in green a day worthy of that color. Full of life-giving energy, the kind of pulsating energy that gets us through the day with love and joy,  not stagnant drudgery.

It's been tough lately with the kids' new outbursts of independence and temperament display, and the continuing saga of John's overworking working schedule. And I'm sure there will be more days that I feel I just need to get through and can't wait until they're over, especially as John ramps up the studies for his professional exam. But through it my prayer will continue to be that I and our home can be a place of refuge, filled with grace and love, for my husband and our kids. Not always clean, hardly ever quiet, but still peaceful.

For now, it's Advent! The kids and I are going to set up our advent home shrine this afternoon. I can't wait to see how it develops!

No comments:

Post a Comment